Brazil striker Robinho missed training with
his club Santos for the second day running on Saturday as speculation
continued over a possible transfer to Real Madrid, Brazilian media said.
Robinho bid farewell to Santos supporters after playing for the
Brazilian world champions on Wednesday as they beat Argentina 4-1 to win
the Confederations Cup in Germany and said he was hoping to sign for
But Santos president Marcelo Teixeira immediately replied that Robinho
had a contract until 2008 and that any club which wanted to buy the
21-year-old would have to pay a $50 million penalty. Real are widely
reported to have offered $30 million.
Santos said on their official website on Friday that Robinho would be
available for Sunday's Brazilian championship match against Juventude.
On Saturday, the Estado news agency said that Teixeira held a three-hour
meeting with Robinho and his representatives on Friday but failed to
reach a compromise.
It said that Robinho, whose mother was kidnapped for 40 days last year
before being released unharmed, would consider appealing to soccer's
governing body FIFA on the grounds that it was not safe for him to stay
His agent Wagner Ribeiro said Robinho would hold a media conference on
"Robinho adores Santos, he's a professional, he just needs some days off,"
he told the website of the sports daily Lance.
Santos general manager Luiz Henrique de Menezes told the same newspaper:
"Robinho has a contract with the club, he's expressed his interest in a
transfer and the club has stated its position. They just have to respect
the penalty clause and he's free to go wherever he wants."
Robinho has been the subject of almost daily speculation over a possible
move to Europe since last year. On Wednesday, Teixeira accused Real
Madrid of behaving unethically and approaching the player without his